During the journey across Assam spotting the exotic tourist spots and places of historical interest in the State one must halt at the Commercial Capital of Assam – the busy town of Tinsukia. Although a quick glance would seem it to be just like a normal modern day city; this place has been an important landmark in the history of Assam. Tinsukia was the capital of the one of the mighty empires of Assam after the Ahoms – the Muttack Kingdom founded by Swargadeo Sarbananda Singha. During his rule Swargadeo Sarbananda Singha instructed his Minister Gopinath Barbaruah to dig a triangular pond which later came to be known as Tinikunia (meaning Triangular) Pukhuri (meaning Pond).
It was in the year 1788 A.D. after the the ‘Moamaria’ uprising that ‘Mezera’ – the powerful leader pro-claiming independence established the Muttack Kingdom with its first capital at ‘Rongagara’ on the banks of the River Dibru and took the name of ‘Sarbananda Singha’. After three years of his reign in the year 1791 A.D. the capital was shifted to ‘Bengmora’ – the present Headquarter of the Tinsukia district. The area of the State was 1800 (Eighteen Hundred) Square Miles.
As a mark of his benevolence the Muttack King Sarbanada Singha had 24 tanks dug out at various places. The Na-Pukhuri (cluster of nine ponds) which was dug in 1792 A.D. is the largest among these tanks. Among these nine ponds, the one situated in the center is the most popular. This tank covers an area of around 11.75 acres and is filled with natural water, which is why it is also called a lake. The District administration of Tinsukia decided to develop this historical site into an amusement park and a tourist spot. A 400 m long tiled pathway and 1200 m of pucca jogging pathway has been constructed along with placement of a number of playing equipment. This park also has a triple cascade fountain in its central area. Remains of the construction from the late 1700’s by the Muttack Kingdom can also be seen here at the pond.
Jungleideas welcomes you to India’s North East to witness the history of the bygone era at the Cluster of Nine Ponds as a symbol of Benevolence – the ‘Na-Pukhuri’, Tinsukia, the State of Assam, Incredible India!